Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Vines Gone Wild

I don't remember which variety of pumpkin plant this is. All I know is that, compared to the others, this plant and its twin have grown thicker, healthier looking vines that spread more quickly and, though they've been the last to develop any female flowers, those flowers are bearing fruit that seems to grow more rapidly. My guess is that it's all about the location. Happy roots for happy vines that produce happy pumpkins. In this particular case, one of those vines shot right through the chain-link fence and started growing a fruit on the other side. I had to gently reroute the end of the vine back through the fence and brace it with a stake. Two or three days later, the vine had fully accepted this new plan and the stake was no longer needed. In about a week the fruit on the outside of the fence had swollen considerably and there was a new foot or so of length on the inside of the fence. That new length already has two baby fruits on it. I expect lots of viable pumpkins from this plant. I'm not quite as diligent about hand-pollinating as I was earlier in the month, but the honey bees have finally made an appearance, and they've been picking up the slack. We've implemented a redundancy system. It's very synergistic and shit.

Here you can see the yellow fruit growing just outside the chain-link.
This vine now has an upper level growing in the opposite direction.
The new growth already includes a pair of tiny baby fruits.
The other plants tend to have only one fruit apiece. Again, I'm pretty sure the location, specifically the quality of the soil in that location, is making all the difference. Those fruits are all older than the yellow bulging babies on the vines gone wild pictured above. Happily, the oldest are all a lovely dark green that is starting to turn orange! For a first-time pumpkin grower such as myself, this is very exciting. You know, 'cause pumpkins are generally supposed to be orange. So, orange must be a good sign, yes?

One of my biggest babies. I know, not very impressive. Still, it's an achievement for me!
Loooook! A little orange pumpkin!
The healthiest fruit so far. Nice, consistent coloration. Just no orange ... yet.

Grow, baby, grow!

4 comments:

  1. Well, I'm super impressed. Our pumpkins have never gotten that far at all.
    They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because she plants on the SUNNY side of the house!

      Delete
  2. Happy, happy, punkins! Happy, happy Nina! I've finally got lots of tiny pale yellow fruits popping out too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've determined that this variety makes yellower fruits than the others (to start out with, anyway). I think I gave you starts of this same variety. We'll see what we get!

      Delete