Wednesday, July 17, 2013

One Tidy Spot ... Just For Now

I wanted to show you a wide shot, and this is the best that I can offer ... for now.


Just for now, just in this one spot as framed by the camera, things are rather neat and tidy. It's nothing spectacular, just a bit of garden bed containing one very happy hydrangea, a potted catnip with an itty-bitty baby japanese maple unexpectedly sharing the pot, a couple of sedge grasses, some just-sheared columbines, and a recently acquired pair of hollies still in their nursery pot. The lawn has been mowed down to a respectable height and, in this one corner at least, edged with scissors. The result is not ultimately the look that I want for this spot of garden, but it is at least somewhat tidy. It's like having an ugly kitchen, but a clean kitchen. It may not be everything that I want it to be, but it's presentable. Good enough for this perfectionist.

The rest of the property is another story entirely.

And so it is necessary that I am content with this one tidy spot ... just for now.

A garden is never finished.

2 comments:

  1. I am in love with your white hydrangea! It's gorgeous . . . that whole area looks very inviting. Don't you wish that, like painting something, it would last?
    Oh, and your tulip-scrolly-thingy is cute, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is the 'Phantom' hydrangea. I love it, too!

      I don't really mind the regular work cycle of the garden. I just hate my lawn. We can't seem to keep up with it, mostly because it's 90% fast-growing weeds. The chain-link fence doesn't help. So, there's always far too much mowing and weed-whacking and edging to do. *Sigh*

      Delete