Monday, June 3, 2013

A Step in my Shamble

My progress in the garden, as of late, has been a slow shamble. There is much awkwardness, much dragging of the feet. There is also some movement, mostly in the intended direction. Otherwise, it wouldn't be progress at all.

At least I've accomplished some weeding.

The sun stayed firmly behind the clouds yesterday, until I finally went out of doors and knelt before the gas meter with the intention of rescuing it from the weeds. Then it, the sun, glared hotly at me until I had completed my task. I cut and tore away at the mass of long grasses and catchweed until I could see where they met the ground. Then I pulled out as many rooted unwanteds as I could lay my gloved hands on. I even pulled the horsetails from the neighboring bed, a task I despise for two reasons: one, because it seems pointless and two, because the cats habitually crap over there. Yuck. Nevertheless, it is done … for now.

BEFORE: I rather think it looks better this way, but the ugly thing necessarily must be seen. And, if the weeds were left to swallow up the meter, they might gain confidence and try eating the house, next.

AFTER: Hello, meter! I haven't seen you in awhile. What's that you say, meter? I must give money to the gas company? Oh, you always say that.

There is plenty more to do if I am to get the weeds in this area under control, but one must start somewhere. This, at least, is a step in the right direction.

1 comment: